Adventure Trips Leader
South Shore YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward · Sandwich, MA
Looking for an exciting journey this summer? Come join our dynamic group of passionate leaders at Camp Burgess & Hayward’s Adventure Trips! Based in beautiful Cape Cod, MA, we are surrounded by 300 forested acres and three freshwater ponds.
Adventure Trips offers 12 – 17 year olds a unique summer experience starting at Base Camp on Cape Cod. We provide a safe, educational, service-oriented atmosphere with the opportunity to take part in a variety of outdoor excursions. We foster leadership skills, encourage positive communication skills, and live in a communal environment focused on group membership. Program areas include kayaking, surfing, biking, sailing, windsurfing, SCUBA, camping, swimming, challenge course, outdoor cooking, and the enjoyment of the many beaches and summer activities that Cape Cod has to offer. Campers attend our programs from across the United States and abroad to take advantage of our unique and exhilarating programs.
TRIP LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Co-lead 8-12 campers throughout the summer on six and eight-day co-ed excursions around Cape Cod and the Islands
• Actively be safety-conscious mentors and experiential educators through providing daily guidance and leadership for a group of teens
• Provide a comprehensive introduction to outdoor living skills and basic instruction for adventure-based activities, though contracted professionals facilitate many activities
• Promote a passion for service learning
• Driving 10-passenger vans, 14 passenger bus, and towing trailers with vehicles
• Manage trip finances and logistics
• Keep paperwork organized and up-to-date
• Manage and care for equipment such as kayaks, bikes, tents, kitchen items, etc.
• Genuine passion to work with teens in the outdoors
• 21+ years old with a clean driving record
• Current Lifeguard and First Aid/CPR Certifications or be willing to obtain prior to start date
• Experience working with youth in a leadership and mentorship role, managing group dynamics, and coordinating logistics
• Safety-conscious, energetic, flexible, responsible, patient, fun and compassionate
• Boating, biking, surfing, camping, outdoor experience preferred
• WFR or WFA highly desired
June 10 – August 18, 2017
• Opportunities for fall employment in Outdoor Education potentially available
Fall Outdoor Education
• Facilitate teambuilding challenge courses for middle school, high school, and college students
• Support maintenance of grounds and facilities
Trip Leaders receive two weeks of paid training, staff lodging in a large platform tent or yurt, all meals while working, and free access to laundry machines and internet. This position provides a great opportunity to develop leadership skills both personally and professionally and in a wide range of outdoor pursuits. You will be working as part of a supportive, experienced, and fun-loving community – all while enjoying the beauty of summer on Cape Cod!