BACKGROUND: Established in 2014, the Walker Basin Conservancy (WBC) is leading the effort to restore and maintain Walker Lake while protecting agricultural, environmental and recreational interests in the Walker Basin (www.walkerbasin.org). The nascent and dynamic nature of the WBC and its diverse management obligations provide unique opportunities to develop operations from the ground level up, working closely with staff who are passionate about their mission.
The WBC currently manages thousands of acres of land and assets on multiple properties in the Walker Basin. Land planning activities are underway and focus on assessing public use opportunities, conservation values, long term land ownership and stewardship, active and passive revegetation and restoration activities.
JOB PURPOSE: The primary purpose of the AmeriCorps Program Manager is to develop and manage WBC’s AmeriCorps grant(s). Responsibilities will include managing grant implementation and working closely with staff and partners located in Reno, Yerington and greater Walker Basin to ensure grant compliance. The position will also prepare and submit grant application documents and progress reports. These tasks require a high level of organization and management skills.
The Program Manager will also be provided with the unique opportunity to expand WBC’s AmeriCorps program into agency partners, schools and tribal organizations, and to engage community members and supporters.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage WBC’s AmeriCorps grant(s), including:
o Compiling and submitting all required grant reports;
○ Tracking grant performance measures;
○ Oversight of programmatic evaluations;
○ Oversight of AmeriCorps grant writing and annual renewal process.
• Manage WBC’s AmeriCorps members, including:
○ Recruitment of AmeriCorps members;
○ Maintaining member personnel files;
○ Member evaluations;
○ Coordinate and lead member orientations, trainings, and professional development.
• Maintain and develop professional partner relationships, including:
○ AmeriCorps host sites;
○ Current and potential funders for the youth conservation program;
○ Local high schools and tribal organizations;
• Volunteer recruitment, training, and management for community events;
• Coordinate AmeriCorps project schedules, particularly with Nevada State Parks and local high schools;
• Lead on-site programming for children and adults to train AmeriCorps members, including:
○ Camp programs;
○ School field trips;
○ Weekend or evening workshops;
○ Special events throughout the year.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in science, education, business, nonprofit management or related fields;
• Strong written and oral communication skills;
• Ability to pass a background check;
• Clean driving record and a NV State driver’s license, or ability to obtain within 1 month of hire.
• Experience with AmeriCorps programs;
• Experience managing data collection and reporting;
• Experience managing budgets;
• 1+ years in a management position.
Salary & Benefits:
Starting salary is $50,000 annually, depending on experience.
Excellent employee benefits package which includes:
• Employer paid health, dental, vision and life insurance plans for employee Retirement 403(b) plan includes a 6% automatic company contribution;
• 120 hours of annual paid vacation, increasing to 160 hours after first year of employment;
• 16 hours of annual personal leave;
• Company paid holiday week between Christmas and New Year’s;
• 60 hours of annual sick leave;
• 11 paid holidays;
• Health and wellness subsidy;
• Employer paid professional development.
Position will remain open until filled. Only top candidates will be contacted. Position is dependent upon available funding from the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Subject Line: AmeriCorps Program Manager
Please call (775) 463-9887 ext. 116 with questions.