The Hudson Valley Farm Hub, a 1,500-acre non-profit farm dedicated to an equitable and ecologically resilient local food system, is seeking an Assistant Vegetable Production Manager.
Position Summary: Under the guidance of the Vegetable Production Manager, the Assistant Vegetable Production Manager’s primary responsibility will be to operate tractors, implements, and other farm machinery relating to the Farm Hub’s organic vegetable production. The Assistant Vegetable Production Manager will also perform general fieldwork for the vegetable operation, as needed. She/he will work as part of the Farm Hub Team and report to the Vegetable Production Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist the Vegetable Production Manager with any and all tractor and equipment operations pertaining to vegetable production included, but not limited to:
o Tillage, cultivation, spraying, fertilizer application, irrigation, mechanical harvest, direct seeding, transplanting, mowing, mulching, cover cropping
o Assist in record keeping
o Operate tractors and implements safely and effectively
o Conduct routine equipment maintenance and adjustments as needed
• Perform general farm work, as needed, including, but not limited to:
o Greenhouse operations
o Field preparation
o Hoeing/hand weeding
o Harvest and post-harvest handling
• Assist the Vegetable Production Manager with training Farm Hub employees in safe and effective equipment operation
• Participate in training, workshops and staff meetings related to farm operations during work hours
Requirements and Qualifications
• Five or more years of organic vegetable production experience
• Three or more years operating tractors and equipment in a vegetable operation, including routine maintenance and adjustment
• Willingness to have a flexible schedule with evening and weekend hours as required
• Strong communication, listening, and interpersonal skills
• Written and verbal proficiency in English
• Strong commitment to the Farm Hub’s mission and values of equity and ecological resilience
• • Demonstrated ability to participate in a work environment of mutual respect, team building, and collaboration
• Ability to develop positive working relationships with people across different backgrounds
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
• Valid driver’s license
Preferred experience includes:
• Spanish language proficiency strongly preferred
• Use of Microsoft Office software and production record systems (e.g. AgSquared)
• NYS Pesticide Applicator license
The Assistant Vegetable Production Manager is a full-time, salaried position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and are an equal opportunity employer. All candidates, regardless of race, gender, age, or sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. The deadline for submission is December 15, 2019.