HOURS: Seasonal—part and full-time (20—40 hrs/week)
DATES: May 15th — August 3rd, 2018
COMPENSATION: $15.00 per hour, Farm lunches provided while on site at Calypso Farm, CSA Vegetable Share for the season (June through September)
Founded in 2000, Calypso Farm and Ecology Center’s mission is to promote local agriculture and environmental awareness through hands-on education in natural and farming ecosystems. We do this through a variety of educational programs – for young and old – both on the farm and in the community. In all of our programs, we strive to increase access to and awareness of the benefits of purchasing and eating local foods.
What is Farm Camp?
Farm Camps are week long day camps held at Calypso Farm. There are sessions for children 5-7 years old and sessions for children 8-12 years old. Teens aged 13-17 assist with the camps as Junior Counselors. Farm Camps offer children a farm immersion experience, exposing them to all aspects of farm life and Boreal Forest ecology.
What is the LEAF Camp?
The LEAF program—Learning Ecology and Alaskan Farming is a day camp with sessions held at three different school garden locations. LEAF Camp is designed to give students ages 5-12 a chance to experience Alaskan gardens first hand. In addition to learning how to grow vegetables, they learn how to prepare fresh produce in the garden.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop an age appropriate program plan and lessons for Farm Camps and LEAF Camps with the assistance of Calypso’s Farm Educator
- Train and supervise Farm and LEAF Camp Counselors and Junior Counselors
- Communicate with all parents or guardians of campers
- Post about camps a minimum of twice weekly on Calypso’s social media outlets
- Assist as needed with Farm field trips when time allows
- Review and implement the Camp Safety Policies
- Carry out evaluation activities for all camps
- Write up end of season evaluation for all camps
- Outdoor and/or environmental educational experience
- Experience in developing and writing outdoor education and/or school garden-based lessons
- Supervisory experience
- High-energy, enthusiastic, positive, “can-do” attitude
- Highly independent and self-motivated
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Belief in Calypso’s mission (see at the top of first page)
- Flexible and friendly
- Reliable vehicle
- Great documentation skills
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Pass a Background Check
- Gardening or Farming Experience is a bonus (not required)
- First Aid & CPR certified (training provided)
LEARN MORE about Calypso Farm & our education programs at www.calypsofarm.org!
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Orion Magazine