Reports to: Manager for Innovation and Assessment
Job Status: AmeriCorps VISTA
Classification: Year-round Full-time
Duration: August 6, 2018 – August 12, 2019
The purpose of this position is to support the efforts of Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont’s (GSMIT) AmeriCorps VISTA program, which aims to alleviate poverty in East Tennessee communities by increasing access to and engagement with local, personal, and relevant experiential STEM education. The Community Engagement Coordinator responsibilities will be to collaborate with schools, youth organizations, and other community institutions to build a culture of hands-on STEM education programs, curricula, resources, trainings, and other opportunities. This position will serve as the primary liaison between GSMIT and target low-income communities.
The Community Engagement Coordinator VISTA will:
– Build access to meaningful education opportunities in target East Tennessee communities.
– Develop educational partnerships with schools and youth organizations by spending extensive time collaborating with teachers, administrators, and community members in their school and schoolyard settings.
– Develop systems of communication and strategic resources supporting sustained connections between GSMIT and target communities.
– Assist GSMIT faculty with curricula and standards-based activity development and implementation at schools.
– Expand GSMIT’s capacity to train teachers, administrators, and youth organizations in hands-on STEM education methods and strategies for implementation.
– Raise awareness of and engagement in experiential learning within target communities.
– Assist with grant writing and development efforts related to supporting equitable access to Tremont’s programs.
GSMIT will provide the following benefits for each VISTA member:
– Housing: VISTA members will be offered onsite private housing on GSMIT’s campus in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. VISTA members will be responsible for paying monthly rent to GSMIT. Housing will include private bedrooms.
– Meals: VISTA members will have access, at no cost, to all meals served in GSMIT’s dining hall during programming. With the exception of parts of December and January, meals are typically served in the dining hall at least twice per day, often seven days per week.
– Training: VISTA members will participate in GSMIT staff training sessions on a variety of topics such as nonprofit management, experiential education pedagogy and methodology, team-building, natural history, etc.
– Holidays: VISTA members will receive 12 paid holiday days throughout the year.
– Attend Tremont programs free of cost.
This position will be administered by the Corporation for National Community Service, the parent organization of the AmeriCorps VISTA program. As a member of the VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program, the successful candidate will receive:
– $12,300 annual living stipend
– Choice of education award ($6,000) or end of service stipend ($1,800)
– Vacation: VISTA members will receive 10 days of paid vacation.
– Personal Leave: VISTA members will receive 10 days of paid personal leave.
– Healthcare Allowance
– Childcare Assistance
– Relocation Allowance
– AmeriCorps VISTA training
Experience and Education:
A bachelor’s degree in a related field is required. Experience in any combination of the following: community engagement, formal education, experiential education, outreach, and/or communications.
Strong interpersonal relations, public speaking, familiarity with education trends, professional writing, safe driving record, proficient in Microsoft Office.
Background in 5-12 grade formal, experiential, and/or science education, proficiency in speaking/writing Spanish.
Formal classroom teaching, assisting, or shadowing experience. Digital design skills. Scientific research background.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Orion Magazine