Southern SAWG (Sustainable Agriculture Working Group) is seeking an experienced Conference Coordinator to manage and carry out the 2018 Southern SAWG Conference (Practical Tools and Solutions for Sustaining Family Farms). The Conference will be held January 17-20, 2018 in Chattanooga, TN. The Southern SAWG Conference attracts over 1,200 farmers and agricultural professionals annually. This event is regarded as the South's leading sustainable agriculture and food system learning event. 2018 will be the 27th annual conference for the organization.
We are looking for someone with experience managing complex and multi-faceted events with tight deadlines and multiple other contractors. The major aspects (venue, hotels, program development, trade show coordination, food, publicity, etc.) of conference planning are already in place for the 2018 event. The Conference Coordinator’s main role will be to coordinate and manage the overall conference logistics to ensure an outstanding event. Qualified applicants will demonstrate that they are highly-organized, detail-oriented, self-starting, motivated, proficient in managing people, proficient in managing multiple components simultaneously, work well with a diversity of people, and have the capacity to achieve excellence. At least 3 years’ experience organizing, developing and handling large and complex event logistics is required. A background and understanding of sustainable agriculture and sustainable food systems is highly desired. The basic scope of work includes the following:
• Learn the existing plans and players that are in place for the 2018 Conference
• Serve as the central point of contact for all general questions from the board, staff, and facility representatives.
• Manage other key conference contractors, ensuring all are meeting deadlines, and serve as overall coordinator among all staff and contractors, especially where work responsibilities are interconnected.
• Serve as primary communicator for Southern SAWG with the Conference Center and Hotels, placing meeting room orders and ensuring event orders are accurate and on budget
• Monitor conference registration and lodging pick up
• Ensure all equipment needs are in place
• Monitor and assure compliance with conference budget
• Create conference evaluation form and monitor results
• Ensure post conference follow-up activities are carried out
A more detailed scope of work will be provided to candidates who are chosen for an interview.
To apply for this contract position, submit your qualifications and a letter of no more than two pages detailing specific experience and skills that you would bring to this work, including your ability to work as an independent contractor. Include detailed information and references related to your most recent and current work. In addition, include references, with contact information, for at least three people who can provide verification of the skills and experience required for this work.
Deadline for application: June 21, 2017, Close of Business
Southern SAWG is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.