WHO ARE WE?
Sierra Nevada Journeys is built on a simple premise: Science education is a necessity, and nature’s classroom is a great place to teach it. Our mission is to deliver innovative outdoor, science-based education programs for youth to develop critical thinking skills and to inspire natural resource stewardship. To achieve this mission, SNJ offers a range of programming to students in northern Nevada and California:
• Our credentialed teachers create innovative, engaging curriculum for 1st -6th graders, teach in the classroom, and lead field studies at local nature sites.
• We host students, teachers, and families at our Outdoor School located at Grizzly Creek Ranch, near Portola, CA, and run an epic summer camp for 8-17 year olds.
• We train teachers on how to bring engaging STEM lessons to their classrooms as well as how to utilize the outdoor classroom.
• Through our Family Science/STEM Nights, we involve families to reinforce classroom concepts.
Here at SNJ we believe that outdoor science education is not just a luxury but a necessity. Over 55% of the students we serve are from low-income families, and hiring a diverse and capable staff enables us to better meet the needs of students across our region.
WHO ARE YOU?
Our program participants reflect the diversity within our communities, and we value the same on our staff. Whether you’re an urbanite or mountain (wo)man, from the east coast, west coast, North Pole or Mars, you’ll fit right in. Sierra Nevada Journeys knows that it will take a team of people with a variety of perspectives and experiences to train the next generation of science-literate leaders and environmental stewards, and we’re committed to building that team and nurturing an inclusive organizational culture to strengthen it.
WHERE WE OPERATE
SNJ has three locations: our headquarters in Reno, NV our science campus in Portola, CA, and a third office in Sacramento, CA. We serve students along the I-80 corridor from Sacramento, CA to Fallon, NV, with the majority of students clustered around our three locations.
SNJ is seeking a dynamic educator to help execute programs for Sierra Nevada Journeys in Sacramento, CA. This position requires a motivated individual with an engaging personality and an insistence on excellence who is passionate about building science and environmental literacy and critical thinking skills in elementary-aged youth. We are seeking someone prepared to teach in a variety of settings (classroom, outdoors, Family Science Nights), recruit and lead volunteers and interns, and support the overall operations of the Sacramento division. The position requires an individual who is able to work well alone and on a team, and who is committed to supporting a non-profit on the cutting edge of the informal education industry. The Core Educator will report directly to SNJ’s Sacramento Program Director.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
o Teach SNJ programs in the classroom and field and lead Family Science Nights. Typical programs may include the following:
• Classrooms Unleashed programs consist of 4 lesson units based on topics including Watershed, Earth Science and Life Science, and culminate with an outdoor field study at a local natural area.
• Outdoor field studies include leading trail groups of 12-20 students through a variety of field-based science activities during ½ day field trips to local natural areas.
• Family Science Night events hosted by SNJ at schools for parent engagement. Lead science stations and engineering challenges.
o Deliver and analyze student assessment and teacher program evaluations for program feedback and improvement.
o Summers: Depends on applicant. Program development, curriculum writing, and/or supporting, teaching or observing other SNJ programs, including Summer Search backpacking-based program. Time-off can be negotiated during the summers.
• Family Science Night Lead
o Oversee Family Science Night program
• Serve as lead contact for school event point person after program booking
• Manage development of new station and design challenge ideas
• Maintain and replenish supplies
• Prepare event supplies prior to each individual event
• Coordinate with SNJ lead for each individual event to ensure smooth program delivery
• Coordinate volunteers and interns to support at Family Science Nights
• Outreach and Special Events
o Represent SNJ at career and internship fairs, describing volunteer, internship, and paid opportunities with SNJ
• Staff Development
o Facilitate interviews for part-time and field educators
o Lead staff trainings and coaching sessions
• 2+ years teaching experience (credential required, California preferred)
• Excellent communication skills.
• Current Red Cross CPR and First Aid (or willing to fulfill this requirement prior to start date)
• Ability to pass background check
• Passionate commitment to providing opportunities for/working with kids of all backgrounds
• Ability to hike 2 miles with a 20-pound backpack
• Ability to commute to school and field sites in a 30-mile radius of Sacramento
• Higher education degree in related field
• Wilderness First Responder certification
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Dynamic work environment
• Fun/fulfilling career
• Innovative company focused on improving outdoor education delivery
• Salary and Medical, Dental and Vision benefits
Sierra Nevada Journeys is committed to seeking and sustaining a diverse workplace, and to principles that promote inclusive practices. To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references to the indicated email. In the subject line of your email please include “California Core Educator” and your last name.