Posted Jan 07
The Ecology School provides residential and day environmental education programs for elementary and middle school students. We are a community-oriented organization that works hard to practice what we teach and to teach with intention. We are committed to making every program empowering, informative and fun for our students and pour our hearts, energy and time into our work. Our overnight campus is based in Poland, Maine, just a short trip away from the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire and the thriving city of Portland, Maine.
Our strong, supportive community of educators live together onsite for the entirety of the term, allowing an opportunity to make lifelong connections with people from all across the country. Because of the unique bond that develops each term, a considerable network of alumni educators provides support and mentorship for newcomers.
Our administrative team works to maintain a strong support system to ensure that our staff can deliver their very best lessons. An integral part of our mission is to use laughter as a key learning tool. This means our educators are wearing costumes on a daily basis to perform educational skits that help our students make connections.
We are seeking new members of our educator team. A successful educator is someone ready to invest their time and energy into making our community, our programs, and the experiences of our visiting schools the best that they can be. As an Ecology School Educator, you will gain valuable teaching skills, as well as experience with, and insight into, a successful non-profit. We are looking for hard-working individuals, who have a willingness to learn and desire to work with students as they develop their environmental literacy.
1. Experience in K-8 education and/or environmental education.
2. BS or BA degree or, in the case of interns, several terms of undergraduate courses and experience.
3. Ability to work long hours outdoors (often physically strenuous) managing groups of children.
4. Trained in CPR and First Aid
College graduates receive a starting salary of $320 per week plus room and board, post-graduates receive a starting salary of $350 per week plus room and board. Room and board is provided for the duration of employment, including weekends.
1. Plan and teach lessons to a group of approximately 10-12 students generally between 3rd and 8th grade.
2. Attend and participate in meals (usually sitting at a student table to share the meal and to engage students).
3. Help set up the site for the week on Monday and clean-up the site on Friday.
4. Attend all scheduled meetings, including all Staff Meetings, Teachers Meetings and other meetings called as necessary.
5. Participate in pre-lesson educational skits and dinner theater.
6. Assist in developing curriculum, skits and program materials for The Ecology School.
7. Consult with classroom teachers and Ecology School Directors to make decisions regarding students' conduct.
8. Develop good rapport and positive relations with students, teachers and other educators.
9. Perform various duties (3-5 per week) such as breakfast or lunch dishes, dorm clean-up with students, recreation or dorm supervision, and put-to-bed.
10. Live on-site in staff housing co-workers.
To apply, please submit an application (form found on website www.theecologyschool.org), cover letter, and resume to:
Alexandra Grindle, Director of Programs. Positions will be filled on a rolling basis and applications accepted until positions are filled.