Organization: Osprey Wilds Environmenal Learning Center (ospreywilds.org)
Job title: Education Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Department: Educational Program
Job location: Sandstone, Minnesota
Preferred starting date (flexible): June 1, 2021 or later
Job Type: Full-time/regular, salaried
PURPOSE OF JOB
The purpose of the Education Director at Osprey Wilds Environmental Learning Center (OspreyWilds.org) is to provide leadership, management and execution of the highest quality environmental education programming for a wide variety of audiences. Programs include residential, day-use and outreach K-12, virtual, college, adult, community and senior programs, youth and family camps and retreats/conference groups. As a senior-level administrator, this position assists the Executive Director and collaborates with the Operations Director in leadership of Osprey Wilds.
Reports to Executive Director:
o Development Director
o Director of Charter School Authorizing
o Education Director
o Operations Director
Reports to Education Director:
o Fellowship Coordinator
o Wildlife Coordinator
o Reservations Coordinator
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
• Minimum Level Education: Master’s Degree
• Preferred: K-12 Science Licensure and K-12 classroom teaching experience
• Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communications skills, including curriculum and public presentations.
• Demonstrated commitment to excellence in environmental education.
• Demonstrated commitment to educational equity, inclusion, and justice.
• Demonstrated leadership and management of teams in a professional setting.
• Excellent problem-solving, decision-making and prioritization skills.
• Good computer skills, including Google Suite, Zoom and Microsoft Office.
• Human resource management skills and experience, including organizational development, Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI), performance evaluations, goal setting, training and development, motivating, team building, hiring, and discipline.
• Ability to manage programs within budget, read financial statements and use information to guide decision-making.
• Experience with risk management and emergency procedures
• First Aid and CPR certification required, additional certifications preferred
• Favorable background screening required
• Driver’s license and ability to drive all types of vehicles, including 15 passenger vans with trailers
Program Management and Administration (30%)
• Direct all aspects of Osprey Wilds K-12, outreach, youth camp, family camp, & Road Scholar® programs, maintaining responsibility for appropriate, safe, and effective operations
• Maintain oversight of programs including scheduling, staffing, facilities, equipment, etc.
• Work collaboratively with other center department supervisors to ensure positive customer experiences while also enabling productive staff functioning in all departments
• Design, lead and support the professional development of Osprey Wilds educational program staff
• Lead and conduct the education department’s recruitment of staff, hiring, retention, and employee performance evaluations
Program Development, Marketing and Partnerships (30%)
• Seek, maintain & strengthen relationships with leaders of k-12 school clients
• Secure school attendance through retention of existing clients and recruitment of new schools
• Support the center’s executive, communication and development functions
• Assist with funding opportunities for programs, including grants and donations
• Work with Leadership Team and Marketing Coordinator for the effective execution of Osprey Wilds marketing strategies and activities, with focus toward increasing enrollment
• Assist in strategic and long-term planning for all Osprey Wilds programs
• Represent Osprey Wilds with a wide variety of local, regional and national professional organizations appropriate to the Osprey Wilds mission
• Review scholarship requests and follow up on funder requirements
• Support communication efforts, including but not limited to writing and/or editing of center literature, marketing and related efforts
• Seek out, develop and implement new educational opportunities and programs
Risk Management (10%)
• Ensure Osprey Wilds meets all local, state, and federal regulations for safety in the programs, including COVID-19 Preparedness
• Direct and oversee complete and timely safety practices for all Osprey wilds activities and facilities including policy, safety and security training for program staff
• Review programs and facilities regularly for safety and security compliance.
• Document all safety inspections, incidents, etc. as needed on a timely basis
Educational Vision and Leadership (10%)
• Lead entire Osprey Wilds educational program staff
• Lead the design process for, implement, and evaluate organization-wide educational goals, both short and long term, to position Osprey Wilds at the leading and growing edge of environmental education
• Lead, create and implement successful tactics to achieve assigned objectives of the organizational strategic plan
Financial and Business Management (5%)
• Develop and manage operating expense budgets for education programs under jurisdiction
• Assist in development of revenue budget and fee setting for programs, including appropriate scoping of new and existing programs
• Assist in development and execution of annual budget
• Ensure cost effective, high value and efficient use of financial resources in program delivery
Curriculum and Instructional Design Management (5%)
• Ensure that program design and implementation remain clearly aligned to the center’s mission, goals and strategic advancement efforts
• Review and adjust curriculum, resources and staff development in response to changing trends in the industry
• Manage re-accreditation process and evaluate program based on accreditation rubric.
• Manage design and implementation of all program-based evaluation activities
• Monitor quality of education delivery, formally and informally through varieties of methods
• Periodically teach Osprey Wilds classes
• Maintain working knowledge of all Osprey Wilds programs & classes
• Create a working environment which promotes job satisfaction and growth for all employees. Work with employee concerns in a fair manner within policy guidelines.
• Enforce all Osprey Wilds policies in a fair, consistent manner
• Effectively solve facility and property needs relational to customer experience on a timely basis in collaboration with facilities staff.
• Maintain programs in a manner that ensures safety to staff and students at all times.
• Address critical issues on a 24/7 basis and respond as needed.
• Anticipate potential concerns in all areas of the business. Proactively plan to prevent concerns or issues.
DECISION MAKING/FREEDOM TO ACT
• This position is limited by all Osprey Wilds policies and local, state, and federal laws, rules and regulations
• This position must obtain Executive Director approval for spending beyond planned budget and for any capital spending
• This position must obtain Executive Director approval for addition of any new programs, curriculums, and initiatives
• This position has authority for all HR activities and decisions within the educational program
• This position has authority for all purchases within approved budget
• This position is accountable for the successful and timely execution of programs, policies, and procedures in accordance with the Osprey Wilds’ mission statement and business needs
• This position is accountable for annual revenues and expenditures of approximately $800,000
• This position is accountable for the actions and performance of 11 staff
• Employment at Osprey Wilds is “At Will” and is not a contract.
• Employment is conditional until acceptance of a favorable background screening.
• This position will require a minimum of 40 hours per week with a flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends, to fulfill business needs. Full-time attendance “on campus” is a normal expectation when not off campus for business purposes, except for remote-working during COVID-19.
• This position will work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
• This position requires work at heights of up to 40 feet.
• This position requires the ability to swim while wearing a PFD and adequately facilitate basic water rescue techniques.
• This position prefers competence in outdoor skills, including orienteering, canoeing, backpacking, Leave No Trace, camping, rock climbing, and ropes course management.
• This position requires occasional overnight, multi-day travel.
• This position requires regular and repetitive tasks related to computer and office work.
• This position requires a valid Class D driver’s license with a favorable driving record.
• This position requires physical exertion; occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs.
• This position requires the ability to travel under his/her own power, for hours at a time, through the terrain of the entire Osprey Wilds property in all types of Minnesota weather year-round.
• Starting Annual Salary of $45,000
• Eligible for Health Care and Simple IRA through Osprey Wilds. We currently offer health care coverage through Health Partners with a $3,000 individual deductible and $6,000 family deductible and contribute $600 annually into your HSA to be used towards your deductible. We match your Simple IRA up to 3% of your annual earnings.
• 10 Annual Floating Holidays & 120 Hours PTO Annually beginning rate
• Professional Development & Training Opportunities
Apply, learn more, and download a PDF of this job description: https://ospreywilds.org/aboutus/work/jobs/
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Orion Magazine