Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, on 295 spectacular shorefront acres in the midcoast town of Boothbay, is one of the nation’s newest, loveliest, and most dynamic public gardens. The Gardens officially opened to the public in 2007. In 2017, we welcomed nearly 190,000 guests. TripAdvisor named Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens the #1 public garden in the United States.
Under the direction of the Youth and Family Program Coordinator, the Education Program Assistant will be responsible for:
• Scheduling and hosting visiting school/youth groups; leading school group tours and nature hikes.
• Carrying out daily informal educational activities in the Bibby and Harold Alfond Children’s Garden such as Storytime and Garden Puppet Theater.
• Facilitating Discovery Carts and Nature Investigations in the Gardens’ new living butterfly exhibit and in the Alfond Children’s Garden.
• Assisting with the daily upkeep of the Alfond Children’s Garden play areas and structures.
• Assisting with the daily care and maintenance of the Learning Garden and greenhouse.
• Supervising the Alfond Children’s Garden on the weekends.
• Assisting with the implementation of gardening and nature themed camps and day programs for children.
• Planning and carrying out Fairy Friday activities in the Children’s Garden every Friday during July and August.
• Leading Cider Saturdays in the Alfond Children’s Garden during the fall.
• Assisting with the organization and implementation of The Great Pumpkin Hunt in October.
• Helping to create new educational programs for families and children.
The successful candidate should have some college experience at minimum. Must have some experience in serving the public, working with children and a keen interest in serving the guests of Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Strong public speaking skills and an outgoing personality are required. A background in youth or environmental education, horticulture, botany, agriculture or a related field is strongly desired. Gardening knowledge/interest and general teaching and computer skills are also desirable. We’re seeking a responsible, customer-service oriented, creative, enthusiastic individual who has a love for nature and the outdoors and will enjoy working as part of our education staff team. All candidates must have their own reliable transportation.
This full-time seasonal, entry-level position begins mid-April and continues through October 31, with the possibility of continuing through December assisting with our holiday lights event. This position will require working one or both weekend days throughout the term of employment. Five days of mutually agreed on time off are available during the summer.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter describing their interest in the position, a resume, and a list of three references to: Erika Huber, Youth and Family Program Coordinator, email@example.com
Application Deadline: March 19, 2018