Environmental protections are at risk more than ever. You can work to ensure Vermont is stepping up to protect the health of our people and environment.
About VPIRG: When special interests take over Washington, DC, the solutions to our nation’s most pressing problems must come from the states. Vermont is one of the few states in a position to lead, and we’ve done so before on issues ranging from the abolition of slavery, to marriage equality, to promoting clean energy and labeling genetically-engineered foods.
For over 40 years, VPIRG has combined well-researched, effective advocacy with broad-based citizen engagement to promote and protect the health of our people, environment and locally based economy. Our growing network of over 40,000 members and supporters makes VPIRG the state’s largest environmental and consumer protection advocacy group, and a powerful force for change.
About the Position: Our Environmental Advocate will make Vermont a national leader in toxic chemical reform, work to preserve our state’s precious natural resources, defend recycling and promote a zero waste future. In Vermont, we’re not immune from toxic threats or industry attacks on our environmental programs. But we are in a better position to fight back and wage innovative campaigns to protect public health and our environment. We create the successful models that others can follow. As VPIRG’s advocate, you’ll be our in-house expert and leader who develops policy solutions, garners media attention, and runs State House campaigns, often when you’re heavily outnumbered by industry lobbyists. By providing leadership on several environmental campaigns at once, you’ll have a tremendous opportunity to make an impact. Along the way, you’ll work with our superb team of organizers and support staff to mount the grassroots outreach needed to win.
Job Summary: Major elements of the position include:
- Advocacy: Bring problems and compelling solutions to the attention of Vermont legislators, members of the Executive branch, environmental agency staff, local and federal officials and business leaders. Build relationships that enhance VPIRG’s reputation among decision makers.
- Policy Development: Develop VPIRG’s position on environmental policies, with a particular focus on toxics and solid waste, by contributing research, policy analysis and clear, pragmatic thinking and writing.
- Campaign Strategy and Planning: Develop strategies and detailed campaign plans to gain political support for our agenda using research, coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media publicity and message development.
- Media Outreach: Serve as a public spokesperson for the organization, build relationships with media, conduct successful media events, use social media to promote our work and maximize earned media opportunities.
- Public Outreach: Work with our organizing staff to leverage VPIRG’s online action network and mobilize our extensive grassroots membership base to generate public action on key issues. Organize and facilitate public events to raise awareness and garner support for campaigns.
- Coalition Building: Create and sustain partnerships with diverse and allied organizations.
- Fundraising: Participate in grant writing and in-person member meetings.
Qualifications: At least 3-5 years of experience in public policy advocacy including campaign planning, message development and framing, coalition work and direct advocacy with leaders. Must be politically strategic, media savvy and possess strong writing and public speaking skills. Environmental policy experience a plus. Candidates must be able to travel (mostly within state) and work evening/weekend hours as necessary. Commitment to VPIRG’s issues and a mission-driven approach are essential in this demanding and highly-professional work environment.
Compensation: Competitive salary. VPIRG offers an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health insurance including vision and a Health Reimbursement Account, long-term disability insurance, employer-matching IRA contributions and generous leave time.
Application Process: Apply online via our online application form at http://www.vpirg.org/...-postings/apply-for-a-job/
. VPIRG is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline to apply: January 31, 2017
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Orion Magazine