NatureBridge is seeking qualified candidates for environmental science educator positions for our 2019 - 2020 school year programs. NatureBridge environmental science educators are skilled professionals who provide diverse student groups with meaningful experiences in nature's classroom.
NatureBridge values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strive to diversify our workforce and seek applications by individuals from all backgrounds, abilities, cultures, orientations, identities, and communities. NatureBridge encourages opportunities for growth and professional development. Many of our educator alumni maintain leadership positions in environmental and education communities leveraging their NatureBridge experience in positive ways.
• Lead students through multi-day, hands-on, experiential learning experiences in outdoor settings.
• Using a student-centered approach, facilitate interactive community building and environmental education activities for diverse student groups.
• Use scientific inquiry and lead by example to demonstrate positive and responsible environmental literacy and behavior.
• Differentiate and tailor programs that honor the backgrounds and needs of each school group, incorporating teacher requests within our educational framework, program logistics, and student interests.
• Cultivate an inclusive learning community using sensitivity to bring cultural relevance to program content and community relationships including students, teachers, and schools.
• Create and lead evening programs weekly for up to 200 audience members.
• Provide occasional on-call and evening support when not teaching in the field.
• Manage students’ physical, social, and emotional safety in outdoor settings using sound judgment and applying appropriate risk management decisions; administer and document first aid as needed.
• Provide weekly, comprehensive pre- and post-trip assessments of student group learning to help evidence achievement of educational goals.
• Actively participate in staff community by attending meetings and trainings as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required experience and education
• Bachelor's degree in science, environmental or multi-disciplinary studies, or a related field, OR equivalent experience.
• Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certification or willingness to receive training shortly after being hired.
• One to two years relevant formal or informal teaching experience.
• Ability to perform physically challenging work in the outdoors and in all weather conditions on uneven terrain.
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion within your teaching and our community.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• A willingness to be coached and openness to feedback.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends.
For information on compensation and the application process, please visit: https://naturebridge.org/...ntal-science-educators
The application closing date for the 2019 - 2020 school year is February 11, 2019 for our Yosemite location and March 15, 2019
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Orion Magazine