Nibezun is a unique and exciting Native American led nonprofit startup located on sacred Wabanaki land along the Penobscot River in Passadumkeag, Maine. At Nibezun, we celebrate culture as medicine, provide an inclusive space for healing, and promote sustainability for all people and future generations. Nibezun is looking to hire its first executive director and seeks an individual with a deep commitment to Native American cultural values as well as strong organizational/business acumen. The successful candidate will shepherd the organization through a critical period of growth and development and must have the ability to work skillfully with diverse Native and non-Native constituencies. This is an opportunity to take a leadership role in the process of healing centuries of intergenerational trauma along the ancestral lands and waterways of the Wabanaki Confederacy.
Nibezun’s Executive Director will be responsible for the day to day management of the organization; leading the implementation of the mission, long-term strategic goals, annual goals established by its Board of Directors; and guided by the policies and procedures adopted by the Board. The Executive Director serves at the pleasure of the Board of Directors, and the Chair of the Board serves as the supervisory and communications link with the Board.
● Oversee the implementation and evaluation of key program areas—Wabanaki language, cultural outreach, food sovereignty, and recovery
● Help to develop and implement a financially solid and sustainable business model
● Hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff and volunteers
● Develop and manage an annual budget for Board approval
● Develop communication vehicles that effectively and efficiently promote the work of the organization
● Attend all meetings of the Board of Directors, assisting the Chair of the Board in developing meeting agendas
● Develop and implement annual fundraising goals and plans.
● Develop opportunities for individual Board members to assist with fundraising
● Investigate grant opportunities and prepare grant funding proposals that further the organization's goals and mission
● Identify and develop relationships with individual donors, involving Board members and/or other persons when appropriate and helpful
● Assist the Board of Directors in developing, reviewing and revising as appropriate a 3 -5 year strategic plan for the organization
● Develop partnerships, collaborations and alliances with other organizations that further the organization’s goals and mission
● Investigate and arrange training opportunities for Board members, staff and volunteers that build organizational skills and capacity
● Excellent written and spoken communication skills
● Computer literacy, in particular, familiarity with basic programs such as Word, Outlook, Excel, QuickBooks, etc.
● Budget and fiscal management experience.
● Fundraising experience (ideally both private and grant writing)
● Experience having supervised staff and/or overseen volunteers
● Serviceable vehicle and driver’s license – statewide travel expected
● Self-direction: Expectation is to be on site at Nibezun 1-3 days a week with more needed during the summer months, and other work time can be at a home office or on the road
● Passion, integrity, positive attitude, belief in Nibezun’s mission
● Having familiarity with or an understanding of Wabanaki culture and communities
● At least 3-5 years of experience running a non-profit organization with at least one staff member
● Experience in working with and for a Board of Directors
● Experience in property management
● Experience in capital campaign & annual fundraising
● Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
● The total compensation package and hours have some room for negotiation, in order to create a good fit for Nibezun and for the candidate. Our initial concepts are:
o 40 hr. full time position
o The expected initial salary for this position is expected to be in the $50-55K
range depending on experience.
o Possible stipend to assist with medical insurance or health care costs
o Reimbursement for travel at federal rate
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter and 3 written references.
In the cover letter, please explain why you are interested in the mission, values, and activities of Nibezun. Please also tell us why your skills and experience would make you successful in this role.
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, May 15, 2019 .
Nibezun is an equal opportunity employer.