Allegheny Mountain Institute (AMI) is seeking applicants for its fully-funded Farm and Food Education Fellowship. The 18-month Fellowship prepares and empowers individuals to become teachers and ambassadors for a more vibrant and accessible local food system. Selected Fellows spend six months in immersive training on our farm campus (Phase I) and one year in service work with relevant partner organizations (Phase II). The Fellowship is a program of AMI, an educational non-profit organization with the mission to cultivate healthy communities through food and education.
Phase I – Farm Study (April 22-October 31, 2018)
- Gain hands-on experience in sustainable fruit and vegetable production, small animal husbandry, beekeeping, homesteading skills and more!
- Study regenerative farming, nutrition and wellness, permaculture design and community development with expert guest instructors, field trips, and educational sessions.
- Explore local food system leadership opportunities and participate in school gardens, farmers markets and other community events.
- Stay in handcrafted cabins, study in wifi-equipped common spaces and share farm-fresh meals supplemented with whole food staples.
- Receive $1,000 upon successful completion.
Phase II – Service Application (January 2- December 31, 2019)
- Work with AMI and Partner Organizations to help build healthy communities through food and education
- Contribute to projects such as developing school gardens and site-based curriculum, creating infrastructure for local food systems, growing food and increasing food access, and teaching nutrition and cooking.
- Build leadership skills through monthly professional development sessions and continuing education.
- Receive an annual salary of $18,000 (less payroll taxes, paid bi-weekly)
Applicants must be physically fit, able to lift 50 pounds, walk distances up and down steep hills, work outdoors for extended periods of the day, and be comfortable living and working communally as a team in a remote, mountain setting.
Applications are due by February 1, 2018 and are available at: www.alleghenymountaininstitute.org. Applications are considered on a rolling basis and are reviewed as soon as complete. For more information and questions, please e-mail: email@example.com
Please visit www.alleghenymountaininstitute.org.