Farm Camp & Guide Program Coordinator
Calypso Farm & Ecology Center, Fairbanks, Alaska
Founded in 2000, Calypso Farm and Ecology Center’s mission is to promote local agriculture and environmental awareness through hands-on education in natural and farming ecosystems. We do this through a variety of educational programs – for all ages – both on the farm and in the community.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
HOURS: part and full-time (20—40 hrs/wk) - varies through the season
DATES: April 1 - October 1, 2019
COMPENSATION: $15/hour, Farm lunches May – September (Monday thru Fridays) when on site at the Farm & CSA vegetable share through the growing season (early June through late September)
The Farm Camp & Guide Program Coordinator is an education focused position at Calypso Farm. There are three primary responsibilities:
1) Leading Farm and School Garden Camp Sessions— Calypso offers several summer camp sessions for youth at the Farm and in school gardens around Fairbanks
2) Leading Calypso’s Farm Guide Program - a multi-generational volunteer program which trains individuals, families and seniors in leading groups of children on farm-based field trips and
3) Assisting with Farm-Based Field Trips - this position works closely with Calypso’s Field Trip Coordinator to offer farm field trips for youth from late April through September.
What is Farm Camp?
Farm Camps are week long day camps held at Calypso Farm. There are sessions for children 5-7 years old and sessions for children 8-12 years old. Teens aged 13-17 assist with the camps as Junior Counselors. Farm Camps offer children a farm immersion experience, exposing them to all aspects of farm life and boreal forest ecology.
What is the LEAF Camp?
The LEAF program—Learning Ecology and Alaskan Farming is a day camp with sessions held at three different school garden locations. LEAF Camp is designed to give students ages 5-12 a chance to experience Alaskan gardens first hand. In addition to learning how to grow vegetables, they learn how to prepare fresh produce in the garden.
What is the Farm Guide Program?
The Farm Guide Program is an inter-generational volunteer program at Calypso where participants learn all about the farm and then assist in guiding groups of children around the farm during field trips. Anyone is welcome to participate in the program and we strongly encourage parents with their children and seniors to get involved.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop age appropriate program plans and lessons for Farm Camps and LEAF Camps with the assistance of Calypso’s Field Trip Coordinator
• Train and supervise Farm and LEAF Camp Counselors and Junior Counselors
• Communicate with all parents or guardians of campers
• Post about camps a minimum of twice weekly on Calypso’s social media outlets
• Outreach to the community about Calypso’s Farm Guide Program
• Organize and implement Farm Guide Training Days
• Work with the Farm Guides to insure the program is functioning well
• Assist as with Farm Field Trips—including scheduling and running field trips
• Review and implement all Safety Policies for Camps and Farm Guides
• Carry out evaluation activities for all camp and farm guide activities
• Write up end of season evaluation for all camps and farm guide activities
• Outdoor and/or environmental educational experience
• Experience in developing and writing outdoor education and/or school garden-based lessons
• Supervisory experience
• Volunteer coordination experience, preferred
• High-energy, enthusiastic, positive, “can-do” attitude
• Highly independent and self-motivated
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Belief in Calypso’s mission (see at the top of first page)
• Flexible and friendly
• Reliable vehicle
• Great documentation skills
• Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
• Pass a Background Check
• Gardening or Farming Experience is a bonus (not required)
• First Aid & CPR certified (training provided)
Please send a copy of your resume, 3 work related references and answers to the following questions to Christie Shell, Calypso’s Assistant Director firstname.lastname@example.org
. We will then contact you about interviews!
1. Describe why you are interested in being the Calypso Farm Camp and Guide Program Coordinator:
2. Describe any outdoor/environmental education experience that you have:
3. Describe any supervisory experience that you have or experience that will aid you in this position,
4. Describe any volunteer coordination experience you have that will aid you in this position.
5. Describe any farm or garden experience that you have (preferred but not required):
6. Give a brief overview of a garden-based lesson appropriate for 7-10 year olds:
7. If you were a vegetable, what would you be and why?
8. How did you hear about the position?