We are seeking an experienced farmer and expert team leader to manage all aspects of a small, diverse organic farm while also leveraging the farm as an educational and engagement platform to deliver experiential education opportunities for youth (ages 3-17). The Farm Director is a keystone position as it holds and directs the balance of agricultural production targets alongside sustainability, resource management, educational and engagement goals. This is a demanding leadership assignment which requires equal skill and commitment to both the farm and to providing exceptional experiences for our visitors and youth.
The Farm Director enjoys clear and specific oversight of the farm and garden budget, livestock management, dairy program management, haying operations, sugaring operations, farm and garden staff, and the education and development of farm interns. As such the Farm Director is responsible for ensuring implementation of best practice in production and farm stewardship, coordinating and collaborating on farm stand operations and food donation initiatives.
Desired Education and Experience:
• 4+ years experience in the farm/food business, including 4+ years vegetable or livestock production; additional farm retail/business management preferred. Experience operating and maintaining farm equipment is a plus.
• Strategic management of people and resources; farm budgets are around $80,000 - $90,000 (farm and program supplies).
• Familiarity with the Vermont and New England farm network, including strong contact with other growers and producers, or a willingness to cultivate these relationships
• Experience working with a farming non-profit and a range of local food system stakeholders.
• Experience in running educational or therapeutic farm programs.
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to competitive pay, Farm & Wilderness offers the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team who believe in the power of experiential education. In support of our staff and their families, we provide comprehensive top-notch benefits and an array of special perks. Full-time, year-round staff can enjoy:
• Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance, and a Flexible Spending Account
• Traditional and Roth 401(k) plan
• Employer-paid life and AD&D.
• Paid vacation and sick time; 12 paid holidays
• Tuition Discount for children enrolled in camp programs
• Housing may be available for this position.
• And much more!