The Hudson Valley Farm Hub (HVFH) is a nonprofit center for resilient agriculture, dedicated to fostering an equitable and ecologically resilient food system in the Hudson Valley. We are seeking a farm mechanic to join our team. Working as part of the Farm Hub Operations Team, the Farm Mechanic will perform vehicle repairs, equipment repairs, and general farm maintenance. The Farm Mechanic will be responsible for maintaining accurate records and helping to ensure a clean and safe working environment in the shop and associated storage areas.
As the Farm Hub is a collaborative learning environment, the Farm Mechanic, working alongside the Lead Mechanic and the Director of Farm Operations, may participate in the training of staff in equipment fundamentals, operations, maintenance, and safety.
As needed, the Farm Mechanic may be assigned other duties beyond maintenance, including general farm work and equipment operation. The Farm Mechanic will report to the Lead Mechanic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct routine maintenance, diagnostics and repair all types of agricultural equipment including vehicles, tractors and other heavy equipment.
• Be a resource for Farm Hub employees on general maintenance and repair and operation of farm equipment
• Emphasize safe work practices and safe machine operation in daily tasks and convey the importance of safety to others
• Input maintenance records for the shop and equipment including vehicle registration and inspection
• Help maintain an efficient shop working environment, including the safety, security and cleanliness of the shop and surrounding area.
• Perform other duties, including general farm work, as assigned
• High school diploma
• Three to five years field experience with agricultural equipment strongly preferred
• Efficient metal welding, cutting, and fabrication skills
• A solid working knowledge of gasoline and diesel engine service and repair, hydraulic and pneumatic operations, plumbing, electrical tasks and field irrigation.
• Must be physically capable of performing maintenance on equipment and machinery, working long hours seasonally and operating equipment/machinery. Conduct routine equipment maintenance as needed
• Must have own tools
• Must be personable, flexible, and possess excellent organizational and communication skills
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Solid computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel (expect to be trained on a new computer tracking system (CMMS)
• Ability to participate and foster a work environment of mutual respect, team building and collaboration; committed to continuous improvement and a culture of learning
• Able to work both independently and collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds and experience levels
• Working knowledge of Spanish, or bilingual English-Spanish a plus
This is a full-time position. Due to the nature of agriculture, evening and weekend work may be required during the planting and harvest seasons. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. \As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Hudson Valley Farm Hub is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic, and experiential backgrounds. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, and differently-abled people.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume and three professional references to email@example.com
. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
To find out more, visit the Hudson Valley Farm Hub at http://www.hvfarmhub.org