Field Trip Coordinator
Calypso Farm & Ecology Center, Fairbanks, Alaska
Founded in 2000, Calypso Farm and Ecology Center’s mission is to promote local agriculture and environmental awareness through hands-on education in natural and farming ecosystems. We do this through a variety of educational programs – for all ages – both on the farm and in the community.
HOURS: 25-30+ hours/week on average, depending on field trip schedule. Approximately 40 hours per week during Camp sessions.
POSITION LENGTH: April 1 - October 1, 2019
COMPENSATION: $15/hour, Farm lunches May – September (Monday thru Fridays) & a CSA vegetable share through the growing season (early June through late September)
The prime responsibility of the Field Trip Coordinator is to run Calypso's field trips, including: 1) outreaching about field trip options to schools, day care centers, community organizations, and family groups, 2) coordinating with group leaders about all trip logistics, 3) leading trips with small groups of staff and community volunteers.
Additionally, the Field Trip Coordinator will work along side the Farm Camp & Guide Program Coordinator to offer farm and school garden-based summer camps and to engage a multi-generational group of community volunteers to assist with field trips. Farm based field trips run from late April through September, with fewer field trips happening in the summer months. Calypso has developed a number of successful and popular field trip themes exploring garden and forest ecology, however the Field Trip Coordinator is welcome and encouraged to create new field trip activities and themes. Field trip groups range in size from 10 - 60 youth and all groups are broken into small groups of 6-8 children, each with an adult leader, that move around the farm and surrounding forest exploring and doing activities. Field trips last 2 hours on average, and are scheduled at least once a day, Monday through Friday, in the spring and fall and an average of 3 to 4 per week during the summer (excluding summer camp weeks).
Promotion & Planning
• Update and revise (as needed) – the spring, summer and fall field trip offerings
• Promote the field trip offerings to all potential participants
• Post several times weekly on Calypso’s social media sites about our farm based education
Scheduling, Recording & Evaluation
• Communicate with the rest of the Calypso staff about field trip scheduling
• Schedule field trips throughout the season
• Coordinate directly with each field trip group leader via email or phone to provide necessary information and get all necessary paperwork from them
• Conduct field trip evaluation for each field trip
• Compile all evaluation into an end of season report
Field Trip Operations
• Gather and create (as needed) materials needed for each field trip to function
• Implement engaging field trips!
• Adhere to Calypso’s Field Trip Safety Policy
• Clean up all supplies after each field trip and keep supplies organized throughout season
Field Trip Volunteer Guides
• Assist the Farm Camp & Guide Program Coordinator in the cultivation of a group of multi-generational volunteers to help with field trips
• Work with the Farm Camp & Guide Program Coordinator on Farm Camp and LEAF Camp curriculum and plans
• Work as Lead Counselor during all farm and school-garden based camp sessions in June and July
- Environmental education experience
- Ability to work in a team, as well as independently
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Work well under pressure and can troubleshoot on the spot
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Must have a reliable vehicle to get to the Farm each day
- A good sense of humor!
LEARN MORE about Calypso and our Field Trip Program at www.calypsofarm.org!
Applications are accepted on a rolling bases. Early applications are encouraged! Please send a resume, 3 work related references and the answers to the following questions to Christie Shell, firstname.lastname@example.org
. We will contact you about an interview.
1. Describe why you are interested in being Calypso’s Farm Educator.
2. Describe your most relevant work experience that will aid you in this position.
3. Give a work-related example to demonstrate your organizational skills.
4. Are you available for the dates of the position (April 1—October 1, 2019)
5. If you were a vegetable, what would you be and why?
6. How did you hear about this position?