Greater Gila Campaigner
Posted Dec 19, 2019
Position Summary: WildEarth Guardians’ Greater Gila Campaign is working to transform the Greater Gila Bioregion into the next great protected landscape. We are seeking a passionate and nimble Greater Gila Campaigner to work with the Greater Gila communities to secure this vision. The Greater Gila Campaigner uses organizing, advocacy, and strategic communication skills to inspire and support communities to build power. The Greater Gila Campaigner is someone with a commitment to protecting wild places and biodiversity, knowledge and comfort with the complex cultural landscape of rural New Mexico and Arizona, and strong ties to the Greater Gila and/or New Mexico and Arizona. Reports to: Greater Gila Guardian. This position is a Wyss Fellowship which provides campaign experience and training for individuals who have the potential to become future conservation leaders. Wyss Fellowships are ideal for talented and committed individuals just completing their education and looking to launch their career in conservation, or for those looking to make a career change. Fellows gain experience in all aspects of conservation advocacy, including policy development, grassroots and grasstops organizing, coalition-building, research and writing, media and communications, and fundraising.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have experience with community and/or political organizing; working with indigenous communities; designing and implementing strategic communication plans; building and facilitating coalitions that include traditional and non-traditional allies; and working with businesses, organizations and/or economic development entities. Spanish language skills desired. The Greater Gila Campaigner will travel throughout Arizona and New Mexico and should expect flexible work hours, including some weekend and evening hours.
● Work closely with the Greater Gila Guardian and Campaign partners to build and engage a diverse community that supports landscape-scale protection in the Gila.
● Engage businesses, business associations, the conservation community, tribes and community organizations in NM and AZ to develop the Greater Gila Economic Coalition.
● Work with the Greater Gila Guardian and Communications Director to develop a strategic communication plan to elevate the profile of Greater Gila regionally and nationally.
● Amplify and elevate Guardians’ and the Greater Gila Campaign’s core values, vision, and work to our members, the public, the media, and targeted agency personnel, decision-makers, and funders.
● Support fundraising efforts of the Wild Places Program and the Greater Gila Campaign.
● Attend annual Wyss Fellow trainings.
Compensation and Benefits: Guardians offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including full health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation, health and family leave, a sabbatical policy, paid holidays, disability insurance, and a fabulous work environment that accommodates a flexible work schedule. Salary is in the $40,000-$50,000 range, based on experience.
To Apply: Please submit applications electronically to with “Application for Greater Gila Campaigner” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed beginning on Thursday, January 2nd, 2020 and the position will remain open until filled or January 31st. The expected start date for this position is between February 3rd and 24th. Applications should include, in a single pdf, the following: cover letter, resume, writing sample (no more than 5 pages), and three professional references (with contact and relationship information).