Do you love working with the media to help shine a spotlight on and share compelling stories about passionate, bold activists fighting for wild nature, endangered species, and the climate?
WildEarth Guardians is looking for a Media Director to work in a demanding and fast-paced organizational work culture to persistently promote Guardians’ program work across earned media channels and to the public. Leveraging our steady stream of bold conservation work and deep history with local, regional and national media outlets, we need someone to grow our media coverage to help expand Guardians’ visibility.
Excellent communication skills are integral to the role, including the specific abilities to listen, write, create and communicate using a suite of modern digital tools. We’re an organization that wants to use the media to confront systemic injustice and build power to create new restorative and regenerative economies and systems. We need you to package our nuanced work creatively, accurately, and with the bold voice that defines and differentiates Guardians from other groups in the conservation space.
Additionally, your collaborative interpersonal skills and high degree of emotional intelligence will give you the confidence to successfully interact with Guardians staff and the media.
WildEarth Guardians is a leading environmental advocacy organization working to protect and restore the wildlife, wild places, wild rivers, and health of the American West. We are lawyers, scientists, advocates, and organizers. We speak for the wildlife, lands, and waters that are exploited and abused to serve the interests of extractive industries. Since 1989, we have worked to restore the natural and human environment to the benefit of all people and living things. We are now, as always, A Force for Nature.
Preferred Skills or Experience
• 5+ Years of experience managing an organization’s or entity’s brand and programmatic presence by collaborating with media and content outlets.
• Ability to develop and deploy strategic media plans for an organization’s programmatic campaigns.
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through communications work.
• Understanding and familiarity with Western U.S. public lands, water, wildlife, climate, and energy issues.
• Experience managing and maintaining large Wordpress websites.
• Proven track record in gaining new earned media for organizations.
• Inspired writing, visual and oral presentation skills.
• Organization skills and self-motivation with proven ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, and prioritize tasks under time pressure.
• Self-aware with collaborative interpersonal skills that foster team-based relationships with staff and the organization’s partners, and allies.
• Dedicated commitment to the public interest and making the American West, and the world, a better place.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or environmental field, or equivalent knowledge and experience in communicating and achieving earned media for organizations.
Compensation and Benefits
Guardians offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including full health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation, health and family leave, a sabbatical policy, paid holidays, disability insurance, and a fabulous work environment that accommodates a flexible work schedule. Salary is in the $55,000-$65,000 range, based on experience and negotiable.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity
As an advocate for the health of the natural world, WildEarth Guardians affirms biodiversity, ecological unity, and the interdependence of all life. We believe that diversity, whether of ecosystems, cultures, or peoples, is a strength. We are committed to celebrating diversity, buoying inclusivity, and striving towards equity, both within our organization and externally. WildEarth Guardians is an equal opportunity employer and actively strives to ensure fair and equal treatment of its employees and constituents regardless of differences based on culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, or sexual orientation.
We invite you to tell us how you can help protect and restore the American West through your creative approaches to earned media.
Applications should include, in a single pdf, the following: cover letter, resume, writing samples of a press pitch and press release, and three professional references (with contact and relationship information).
Please submit applications electronically to “Application for Media Director” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning on Feb 1, 2020. The position will remain open until filled. No phone calls or in-person visits, please.