Nature Education Counselor
Posted Jan 23
Nature Education Counselor
Location: Newburyport, MA
Sanctuary: Joppa Flats Education Center
About Joppa Flats Summer Camp:
Joppa Flats Summer Camp emphasizes nature study, group cooperation, and experiential learning, and fun outdoors. Our mission is to connect kids with the natural world, and we’re excited to welcome new members to our team who feel as passionately as we do about getting kids outside and into nature. It’s a lot of hard work, but we like to think it’s the best, most fun and rewarding work to be doing! Please be sure to visit www.massaudubon.org/joppaflatscamp to familiarize yourself with the mission and content of our camp programming.
Joppa Flats Education Center is looking for enthusiastic assistant counselors for its nature day camp session for children ages 6 to 11.
Provided, mandatory training includes risk management, childhood development, Hazardous Communication Law, blood-borne pathogen safety, lesson planning, and a three-day, two-night field school experience at Mass Audubon’s Camp Wildwood.
40 hours/week, Mondays - Fridays 8:00am – 4:00pm
Training and Planning Weeks: June 12 – 23, 2017
*Overnight field school at Camp Wildwood is June 13-15
Trekkers Camp Weeks: June 26– August 18, 2017
*Camp IS in session on the 4th of July.
• Assist lead counselors with preparing lessons and activities
• Facilitate activities during the camp day, supervising campers and helping maintain a positive camp environment
• Support lead counselors and the Camp Director in safeguarding the health and well-being of the group while at Joppa Flats Education Center and on multiple off-site field trips each week.
• Must drive a mini-van with up to 6 campers
• Administer first aid when necessary
• Be enthusiastic and excited to learn.
• Have the ability and willingness to think on their feet and adapt to dynamic, changeable camp days.
• Be at least 19 years of age.
• Have an interest in and understanding of children, and a desire to share outdoor experiences with them.
• Have the ability to work cooperatively and independently.
• Have a strong interest in nature and a desire to share that passion for, and knowledge of natural history with others. Experience is a plus.
• Be certified in First Aid/CPR/AED by the first day of camp
• Be comfortable working largely outside and willing to handle sun and bugs. Paddling experience is a plus.
• Valid driver’s license required and, have at 2 years of experience as a licensed driver
• Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver’s)
This is an exempt position.
How to Apply:
Please email or send your resume, cover letter and 3 references to:
Kirsten Lindquist, Camp Director
Joppa Flats Education Center
P.O. Box 1558
Newburyport, MA 01950