Outdoor Education Guru
Posted Jun 10
Come join our fun and supportive community at Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center, a YMCA facility located a short drive from the ocean on beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Our forested property is situated on over 300 acres which include three freshwater ponds, two state-of-the-art high ropes courses, a low ropes teambuilding course, climbing tower, educational farm, recreational waterfront, hiking trails, and dining and overnight facilities. We seek to instill wonder, encourage stewardship and cultivate community through interactive outdoor experiences.
This position offers an opportunity to be a leader for a broad clientele looking to grow and develop team-membership skills and build camaraderie in the great outdoors.
• Lead outdoor programming with confidence, accuracy, and enthusiasm
• Facilitate the safe use of our waterfront and challenge course elements
• Provide friendly and helpful customer service to all of our guests
• Support housekeeping and dining operations
• Participate in grounds and facility maintenance
• Speak clearly and audibly in front of large audiences
• Serve as an occasional overnight staff member on call and/or cabin chaperone
• Passion for working outdoors with youth, teens and adults
• Desire to facilitate experiential education and teambuilding programs
• 21+ years old with a degree in a relevant area, or equivalent life experience
• Current American Red Cross Lifeguard/1st Aid/AED certification or willingness to obtain prior to start date
• Ability to live and work as a positive team-player in a collaborative residential setting
• Capacity to give and receive feedback on a regular basis
• Physical ability to spend long, active hours outdoors in all elements
• Previous experience working on a low ropes course a plus
• Training begins August 6, 2018
• Season runs through the end of October
Expect to work long but extremely rewarding days outdoors in all elements. Daily hours are tailored to the needs of our guests. You will have two days off for every five days worked.
Pay is $375 per week. We provide comfortable staff housing, all of your meals while working, kitchen access, and laundry facilities. Internet is also available. You will have the dedicated support and guidance of our experienced full-time staff as you develop your leadership style and gain confidence facilitating others in outdoor activities. Additionally, Cape Cod is an awesome place to live! You will have access to a wide range of outdoor recreation equipment to help you enjoy it.
Paper airplanes and carrier pigeons can be sent to N41.41.896, W070.27.261 or you can email a resume with cover letter to our hiring manager.
Outdoor Education Director
South Shore YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward
75 Stowe Road
Sandwich, MA. 02563