Come join our fun and supportive community at Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center, a YMCA facility located a short drive from the ocean on beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Our property is situated on over 300 forested acres which include three freshwater ponds, two state-of-the-art high ropes courses, a low ropes team-building course, climbing tower, educational farm, recreational waterfront, hiking trails, and dining and overnight facilities.
We seek to develop conscientious citizens by instilling wonder, encouraging stewardship and cultivating community through interactive outdoor experiences.
Seasonal positions at Burgess Outdoor Education typically span spring through fall, giving you the opportunity to facilitate meaningful programming for a wide range of youth and adult groups. Our goal is to have our spring hires stay with us through all three seasons.
• Teach experiential science classes to overnight youth groups. Programming emphasizes hands-on exploration, environmental stewardship, team-building and community spirit.
• Lead week-long overnight adventure trips for teens across Cape Cod including biking, camping, kayaking, sailing, and surfing.
• Facilitate team-building programming for middle school, high school, and college students through use of our varied adventure elements.
• Support grounds and facilities maintenance.
• Lead outdoor science classes and team-building programming with confidence, accuracy and enthusiasm
• Assume an empathetic and respectful mentoring role with all guests
• Facilitate the safe use of our waterfront and many challenge course elements
• Speak clearly and audibly in front of large audiences
• Provide friendly and helpful customer service to all of our guests
• Support house-keeping, grounds-keeping, and dining operations
• Serve as an overnight staff member on call and an occasional cabin chaperone
A comprehensive, mandatory and paid two week training will cover class curriculum, group facilitation and technical skills required for the job.
• Passion for working with youth
• Interest in teaching experiential science and team-building classes
• 21+ years old with a degree in a relevant area, or equivalent life experience
• Current Lifeguard/First Aid Certification or ability to obtain prior to start date
• Ability to live and work as a team-player in a collaborative residential setting
• Capacity to respectfully give and receive feedback on a regular basis
• Spring training begins on March 17, 2017
• Fall season runs through the end of October
"People wanted for HAZARDOUS journey. BITTER cold. SEARING heat. DRIVING rain. LONG months of COMPLETE MADNESS. CONSTANT DANGER of actually loving your job. Return to previous life DOUBTFUL. HONOR and RECOGNITION in case of SUCCESS." – OE Hero
In other words, expect to work long but extremely rewarding days outdoors in all elements. Daily hours are tailored to the needs of our guests. You will have two days off for every five days worked.
Pay is $375 per week. We provide comfortable staff housing, meals, kitchen access, and laundry facilities. Internet is also available. You will have the dedicated support and guidance of our experienced full-time staff as you develop your leadership style and gain confidence facilitating others in outdoor activities. Additionally, Cape Cod is an awesome place to live! You will have access to a wide range of outdoor recreation equipment to help you enjoy it.
Paper airplanes and carrier pigeons can be sent to N41.41.896, W070.27.261 or you can email a resume with cover letter to our Hiring Manager.
Outdoor Education Director
Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center
75 Stowe Road
Sandwich, MA 02563