Come join our fun and supportive community at Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center, a YMCA facility located a short drive from the ocean on beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Our forested property is situated on over 300 acres which include three freshwater ponds, two state-of-the-art high ropes courses, a low ropes teambuilding course, climbing tower, educational farm, recreational waterfront, hiking trails, and dining and overnight facilities. We seek to instill wonder, encourage stewardship and cultivate community through interactive outdoor experiences.
Options exist to sign on for our summer Adventure Trips program and/or fall Outdoor Education season as well, giving you the opportunity to facilitate meaningful programming for a wide range of youth and adult groups over the course of several seasons.
• Teach experiential education classes to overnight youth groups. Programming emphasizes hands-on exploration, environmental science and stewardship, team-building and leadership.
• Lead week-long overnight adventure trips for teens across Cape Cod and New England, including biking, camping, hiking, kayaking, sailing, and surfing.
• Facilitate teambuilding programming for middle school, high school, and college students through use of our varied adventure education options.
• Support grounds and facilities maintenance.
SPRING OE JOB DUTIES:
• Lead environmental education classes and teambuilding programming with confidence, accuracy and enthusiasm
• Facilitate the safe use of our waterfront and many challenge course elements
• Speak clearly and audibly in front of large audiences
• Provide friendly and helpful customer service to all of our guests
• Support house-keeping, grounds-keeping, and dining operations
• Serve as an overnight staff member on call and an occasional cabin chaperone
A comprehensive, mandatory and paid two week training will cover class curriculum, group facilitation strategies, and technical skills required for the job.
• Passion for working outdoors with youth, teens and adults
• Desire to facilitate experiential education and teambuilding programs
• 21+ years old with a degree in a relevant area, or equivalent life experience
• Current American Red Cross Lifeguard/1st Aid/AED certification or willingness to obtain prior to start date
• Ability to live and work as a positive team-player in a collaborative residential setting
• Capacity to give and receive feedback on a regular basis
• Physical ability to spend long, active hours outdoors in all elements
• Spring training begins: April 2, 2018
• Spring season ends June 9, 2018
• Fall season begins August 18, 2018 (for returning staff, earlier date TBD if first season with us)
Expect to work long but extremely rewarding days outdoors in all elements. Daily hours are tailored to the needs of our guests. You will have two days off for every five days worked.
Pay is $375 per week. We provide comfortable staff housing, all of your meals while working, kitchen access, and laundry facilities. Internet is also available. You will have the dedicated support and guidance of our experienced full-time staff as you develop your leadership style and gain confidence facilitating others in outdoor activities. Additionally, Cape Cod is an awesome place to live! You will have access to a wide range of outdoor recreation equipment to help you enjoy it.
Paper airplanes and carrier pigeons can be sent to N41.41.896, W070.27.261 or you can email a resume with cover letter to our Outdoor Education Director.
Outdoor Education Director
Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center
75 Stowe Road
Sandwich, MA 02563