Hello! Come join our fun and supportive residential community at Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center, a YMCA facility located a short drive from the ocean on beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Our forested property is situated on 300 acres and includes three freshwater ponds, two state-of-the-art high ropes courses, a low ropes team-building course, climbing tower, educational farm, recreational waterfront, hiking trails and dining and overnight facilities. We seek to instill wonder, encourage stewardship and cultivate community through interactive outdoor experiences.
We are currently hiring instructors for Fall 2017: start date August 14th. We are also accepting applications for our next outdoor education season, spanning from late March through late October 2018. Please indicate the time frame for which you are applying in your cover letter.
• Lead outdoor team-building and educational programming with confidence and enthusiasm
• Facilitate the safe use of our waterfront and challenge course elements
• Provide friendly and helpful customer service to all of our guests
• Support housekeeping and dining operations
• Participate in grounds and facility maintenance
• Speak clearly and audibly in front of large audiences
• Serve as an occasional overnight staff member on call and/or cabin chaperone
• Passion for working directly with people of varied ages and backgrounds
• Interest in creating and facilitating meaningful and educational outdoor experiences
• 21+ years old with a degree in a relevant area, or equivalent life experience
• Current Lifeguard/First Aid Certification or willingness to obtain prior to start date
• Ability to live and work as a team-player in a collaborative residential setting
• Capacity to respectfully give and receive feedback on a regular basis
• Previous experience working on a low ropes course a plus
• Fall training begins on Monday August 14, 2017 with the season running through the end of October
• 2018 season begins late March with options to stay through the spring, summer and/or fall
Expect to work long but extremely rewarding days outdoors in all elements. Daily hours are tailored to the needs of our guests. You will have two days off for every five days worked.
Pay is $375 per week. We provide comfortable staff housing, all of your meals while working, kitchen access, and laundry facilities. Internet is also available. You will have the dedicated support and guidance of our experienced full-time staff as you develop your leadership style and gain confidence facilitating others in outdoor activities. Additionally, Cape Cod is an awesome place to live! You will have access to a wide range of outdoor recreation equipment to help you enjoy it.
Paper airplanes and carrier pigeons can be sent to N41.41.896, W070.27.261 or you can email a resume with cover letter to our Outdoor Education Director.
Outdoor Education Director
South Shore YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward
75 Stowe Road
Sandwich, MA. 02563