The Lorado Taft Field Campus is Northern Illinois University’s outdoor education and conference center and is located in Oregon, Illinois. Taft Campus’ outdoor education program is generally multidisciplinary, place-based, and experiential, and planned in close partnership with the visiting schools with the goal of providing excellent programming and customer service to the visiting students and staff.
Lorado Taft Field Campus is looking to fill six positions for its Outdoor Education Instructor position.
Position Description Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Outdoor Education Extension Faculty Supervisor, the Outdoor Education Instructor is responsible for the instruction of resident outdoor education experiences for elementary and middle school students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop and teach classes in the outdoor environment to students in the 4th to 8th grades.
• Develop curricula and resources for the program.
• Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of campus teaching, habitat, and resource storage areas.
• Participate in staff training prior to teaching and throughout the school year.
• Assist in the coordination of the residential outdoor education program.
• Complete projects assigned by the Coordinator or Specialists.
• Bachelor’s Degree in education, science, natural resources, recreation, history, or related field
• Six months experience as an educator, naturalist, or facilitator of non-formal education programming.
• Two months experience teaching, facilitating, or participating in outdoor education or recreation activities.
• Ability to live in provided campus housing.
• Ability to manage a security sensitive position, having passed a pre-employment background investigation including a criminal background check.
• Experience as an educator, program staff, naturalist or related position at a residential outdoor education center, nature center, or similar facility preferred.
• Previous experience in preparing lesson plans, outlines, or guides in preparation to teach or facilitate activities.
• Previous experience leading or facilitating groups in team building activities.
• Ability to work effectively with co-workers and supervisors to achieve the goals of the program.
• Ability to convey information about environmental topics without bias and with the goal of encouraging lifelong learning.
• Ability to effectively engage in behavior management in order to maintain students’ interest and participation in outdoor classes and activities.
• Ability to manage work time effectively and with little supervision to ensure preparedness and project completion.
• Flexibility and the ability to deal with the unexpected and quickly changing nature of outdoor activities and children.
• Demonstrated enthusiasm for the outdoors and outdoor education, even when conditions are challenging.
• Demonstrated professionalism as related to the field.
• Demonstrated competence in verbal communication, particularly the ability to present information, ideas, directions, etc. in a clear and concise manner.
• Demonstrated initiative to go above and beyond minimum assigned duties
• Ability to hike hilly terrain. Ability to be on feet for much of the day.
Required Applicant Documents
1. Cover Letter
2. Resume/Curriculum Vitae
3. Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
4. List of three references
Please submit application and documents through NIU online employment system at http://employment.niu.edu/postings/42710
. For additional information see https://www.niu.edu/taft/
. Applications will be considered immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. For questions contact Lorado Taft Campus director, Melanie Costello, email@example.com
EEO Statement, Visa Policy, ADA Accommodation, Clery Act Information
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Acting Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Altgeld Hall 238
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
500 W. Madison Street, Suite 1475
Chicago, IL 60661-4544
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document from upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. This form can be obtained by contacting the Office of Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ADEI) at 815-753-8399.
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Orion Magazine