Berkshire Grown seeks a full time Program Manager to plan, implement and evaluate programs and services for farmers, food buyers and other food and farm business members and the public. The Program Manager will join a small, energetic leadership team focused on bringing Berkshire Grown to its next level of development in supporting Berkshire farming.
Berkshire Grown’s Mission: Berkshire Grown supports and promotes local agriculture as a vital part of the Berkshire community, economy, and landscape.
It cultivates a county-wide food economy and brings communities together to promote eating local to ensure that our farms are viable businesses. Berkshire Grown has become the premier advocate for farmers in Berkshire County and its programs over the past 19 years have branded locally grown food to create a stronger economic underpinning for local farmers.
Role of the Program Manager
The Program Manager is the principal liaison between area farmers and BG. As such, s/he is in ongoing contact with farmers to assess their needs and interests in order to develop programs/services that are responsive. The Manager designs, develops and implements a variety of events and services to connect farmers to programs and opportunities that will enhance their agricultural practices and sales. The position offers an exciting opportunity to a creative problem solver who is interested in improving the economic viability of farming in a New England community.
Responsibilities of the Program Manager
- Assess farmers’ needs; design and implement an annual survey
- Manage communication/outreach to farmers for all BG programming
- Produce workshops for farmers and an annual networking event
- Organize visits to farms for staff, board, donors, members
- Produce six Holiday and Winter Farmers’ Markets - in Williamstown and in Great Barrington
- Manage and track grants; prepare reports for funders
- Produce e-newsletters for farmers highlighting resources and opportunities
- Represent BG at public and political gatherings
- Assist at all BG’s events
- Serve as Berkshire County liaison for the Healthy Incentives Program
- Update website with information, news & events as they relate to farmers
- Act as BG’s liaison with local, regional and national service providers (e.g. UMass Extension, USDA)
- Assist with Guide to Local Food and Farms
- Orient farmers, food buyers and producer members of BG
- Coordinate mentorships and technical assistance for farmers
The ideal candidate
The successful candidate is a creative self-starter, highly organized with excellent time management skills and an ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while paying close attention to details. The new Program Manager will have the ability to strategically resolve competing priorities and deadlines using BG’s mission and the organization’s priorities as the guiding factor.
While working independently, the new Program Manager will enjoy collaborating closely with colleagues within Berkshire Grown as well as among partner organizations. S/he will have a history of building positive and effective relationships with a wide array of people and individuals from diverse backgrounds including farmers, chefs, donors, organization leaders.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent communications skills both verbal and written to present BG’s work to multiple audiences
- Innovative ways for developing/expanding program ideas
- A warm and outgoing personality that is flexible and able to adapt to a broad variety of situations, people and opportunities
- Several years experience working in a nonprofit organization
- Experience working in the sustainable agriculture field and/or with farmers preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Skilled with Microsoft Office, WordPress and Constant Contact, and experience and comfort working with a database.
- The ability to work flexible hours when evening and weekend work is required.
- A valid driver’s license and a car.
The position will offer a competitive salary and a modest benefit
Review of applications will begin immediately. Please send a resume and most importantly, include a cover letter indicating how your experience directly relates to the description of the position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Berkshire Grown is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.