The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks an experienced, quality oriented outdoor leader to supervise a team of 6 corps members as part of the DCR Preservation and Stewardship team. This team will be for focused on Historic Preservation and general conservation projects on various MA DCR properties throughout state of MA as part of the SCA MA Forests and Parks Corps
SCA MA Forests and Parks AmeriCorps works in partnership with the MA Department of Conservation and Recreation, US Fish and Wildlife, Conte Refugee, and Massachusetts Service Alliance (AmeriCorps). This position will be based out of Wompatuck State park in Eastern MA.
Program Dates: ASAP to December 8th
Crew Manager Functions-
• Lead and manage a crew six 18 – 25 year olds.
• Lead and manage work outcomes and crew dynamic
• Motivate crew members
• Live onsite with members
• Facilitate team operations including tools & equipment, and vehicles
• Actively manage project/member risk to maintain a safe work environment
• Ensure a healthy and thriving community
Technical Advisor Functions-
• Supervise and assist the work skills training of corps members
• Manage the quality & technique of the work performed
• Promote leadership development within team and evaluate success & potential
Partnership Representative Functions-
• Manage relationship with agency partner
• Work collaboratively with agency and The SCA on program logistics
• Ensure successful and timely completion of work project
Program Administrator Functions-
• Assist SCA MA Forest and Parks Coordinator to complete required program reporting and documentation
• Assist SCA MA Forest and Parks Coordinator in budget management and reconciliation
• Assist SCA MA Forest and Parks Coordinator with member recruitment and trainings.
• Ensure compliance with all SCA Risk Management policies & procedures
• Represent SCA in a positive and professional manner
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Carpentry experience required. (Historic Preservation experience a +)
• Previous trail construction and maintenance experience required.
• Prior experience in supervising young adults in an outdoor setting
• Wilderness First Responder/CPR certification
• Excellent communication and leadership skills, strong work ethic are required
• Self-starter ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Able to carry heavy loads up to 50 pounds and be able to work in outdoor environment exposed to the elements including camping and hiking for extended periods of time. Up to 5-10 days per hitch
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
• Must have personal vehicle, mileage will be reimbursed at $0.50/mile
• Have working knowledge of safely operating power and hand-tools
• Chainsaw experience and certification preferred
• Completion of an SCA Work Skills Session preferred
Compensation: Salary $575 per week, paid biweekly. Housing provided. Tents and group gear provided for backcountry work projects
To Apply: Visit us at www.thesca.org to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume & 3 references.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org