SunCommon believes that everyone has the right to a healthy environment and brighter future – and renewable energy is where it starts. Energy from the sun can power our lives and build vibrant communities. Our mission is to tear down barriers to clean energy and use our business as a force for good.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS
SunCommon is a marriage of two Rochester, NY and Vermont-based innovative, renewable energy companies. In January 2017, the companies joined forces to become a regional solar powerhouse that boasts Vermont’s largest residential solar business (with more than 3000 Vermonters served!), a thriving commercial solar construction business, and significant market share in the fast-growing Rochester solar market that is home to more than 1 million people.
We utilize an innovative community organizing approach to marketing, via high-touch, personal interactions with home and business owners who want solar but couldn’t figure it out or didn’t think they could afford it. We’ve done all the legwork to put together a total package that’s easy for the customer. We picked the best equipment manufacturers, lined up the finest installers and arranged attractive financing that saves our customers real money.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
SunCommon’s Solar Advisors play a key role in our residential sales process. We are looking for an outgoing, mission-driven person with a strong work ethic who loves building solid, collaborative relationships with all types of people. Solar Advisors will work with prospective customers to answer customer questions, perform an initial analysis of site viability, schedule home visits, and explain the home visit process to our customers.
This position requires tact, adaptability and a high degree of customer service and professionalism, with a penchant for accuracy. In this growing industry, new product and partnership opportunities, advances in technology and adjustments in regulations require the ability to change direction quickly with grace and enthusiasm. We’ll need you to keep accurate and detailed records of phone conversations and email communication with homeowners in our CRM database.
The majority of customer interactions happen on the phone and email, with the occasional in-person visit at our office. Most communication happens during normal work hours Monday-Friday, but we are there for our customers to follow up when they need us – which may include nights and weekends.
Solar Advisors are also required to have a technical grasp of how solar energy works to answer basic customer inquiries. SunCommon provides all essential training.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Connect with qualified homeowners and small business owners via phone/email to discuss solar options and determine viability for solar
• Establish and build rapport with the customer
• The ability to genuinely exhibit a positive, enthusiastic, trustworthy personality by phone is absolutely key
• Be able to explain the value of solar, and speak eloquently and passionately about our mission
• Assess initial viability for solar using Google Earth and other tools
• Qualify leads based on solar viability, credit worthiness, and motivations for going solar
• Meet daily, weekly and monthly qualified visits scheduled goals
• Accurately log all communications with customers in CRM contact database
• Effective time management and prioritization in order to contact customers in a timely manner
• Generate leads and sales through networking and referral opportunities
• Thrive in an ever-changing industry, tackling new opportunities with a positive attitude
• Operate in collaborative, team atmosphere – giving and taking feedback to improve your personal performance as well of that of your team and the entire business
• Personality and experience. Do you revel in customer interaction and meeting goals? You might be the newest SunCommon Solar Advisor
• Two+ years successful customer service experience, and Bachelor’s degree or combination of experience and education
• Solar industry experience is a plus but not required
• Proficiency in using IT hardware (iPhone, MacBook) and software (MSOffice, CRM and file management)
• Strong and professional communication skills are needed. This includes the ability to speak clearly and articulately on the phone, and to write clear and efficient emails
• Strong organizational skills, including the ability to effectively handle multiple priorities at any given time
• Flexible schedule, including some evening and weekend work
• Desire to stay on the leading edge of the solar and renewable energies industry
• Strong and confident team player with solid relationship building skills
• Demonstrated commitment to social change
PAY & BENEFITS
SunCommon provides our employees a competitive salary and strong package of benefits, including:
For the employee and her/his family, fully paid medical premiums as well as a significant contribution toward medical deductible expenses,
For the employee and a spouse or dependent, fully paid dental premiums,
3 weeks paid personal leave (combined vacation and sick) for year 1; 4 weeks for year 2,
10 paid holidays annually,
401k company match 1:1 up to 3% of salary that the employee sets aside then 1:2 match for 4 or 5%.
HOW WE WORK
We feel huge responsibility to succeed, to honor our triple bottom line commitments to people (our employees and their families, our Customers and residents of the communities where we do business), planet (Vermont’s beloved environment and the broader globe, given climate change) and profit (providing capital to grow, revenue to share among our employees, and a reasonable return to our investors). This is important work, and we have fun doing it. Innovation is fun stuff.
We do it by celebrating creativity, cross-function collaboration, high energy, hard work, good play, deep networking and with the acknowledgement that we’ll each make mistakes and learn from them. We know success. We know fun. Come do both with us.
In addition to meaningful work, we offer competitive salary and generous benefits. Our values are reflected in our workplace — our new net-positive office building with easy access to vibrant downtown Waterbury.
The Vermont Department of Economic Development named SunCommon as one of the state’s “Best Places to Work,” based in part on the delight registered by our employees in a confidential survey of our employees.
Send a cover letter indicating your preferred pronoun, what attracts you to this adventure, and what you would bring to it along with your resume. Please send the cover letter and resume as a single PDF document. SunCommon of course is an equal opportunity employer and we don’t tolerate harassment or other discrimination based upon sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, military or veteran status, race, color, religion, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other legally protected status.