STAFF ATTORNEY POSITION OPENING
The Western Environmental Law Center (WELC) is a high-impact, nonprofit public interest environmental law firm with a 26-year legacy of success using the power of the law to safeguard the public lands, wildlife, and communities of the American West in the face of a changing climate. We seek a dynamic attorney committed to the public interest to join our team. This position will advance legal strategies that address the climate crisis, including challenges to fossil fuel projects and actions that foster ecological and community resilience to climate impacts. This full-time position will be located in our Helena, Montana office and will be filled as soon as possible.
Requirements and qualifications for the position include:
• Familiarity with Western U.S. climate, fossil fuel, and public lands legal issues.
• At least four years of litigation experience, with administrative advocacy and strategic/policy campaign experience a significant plus.
• Ability and willingness to use a complete set of legal advocacy tools including litigation, collaboration, administrative engagement, and rule and policy development.
• Admission to and good standing with a state bar and willingness to obtain membership to the Montana bar, if not already admitted, at the earliest opportunity after hiring.
• A science or technical background in climate, energy, or public lands-related issues is a significant plus.
• Creative, strong-willed capacity to achieve objectives in the face of adversity.
• Exceptional research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills to foster relationships with clients, partners, agencies, and communities.
• Demonstrated commitment to the public interest and to WELC’s mission and strategies.
• A commitment to conceptualizing and executing legal strategies that further WELC’s commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice.
• A positive, friendly, and enthusiastic attitude towards making the world a better place.
• A love and respect for the public lands, wildlife, and communities of the Western U.S.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. To apply, please email the following as PDF attachments to jobs 'at' westernlaw.org: (1) 1-2 page cover letter addressed to Erik Schlenker-Goodrich, Executive Director; (2) resume; and (3) minimum of three references. Cover letters should communicate the applicant’s commitment to WELC’s mission and advocacy and their motivation to work in the public interest legal field. In your cover letter, please do not reiterate qualifications communicated by your resume. Instead, please tell us who you are, why you care about this work, and why you are a good fit for this position. No phone calls or in-person visits.
Western Environmental Law Center is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and our programs and employment are open to all. We offer a friendly, team-based environment, highly competitive salaries, and an excellent benefits package.
For more information about WELC, please visit www.westernlaw.org.