TWO STAFF ATTORNEY POSITION OPENINGS IN SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
The Western Environmental Law Center (WELC) is a nonprofit public interest environmental law firm with a nearly 25-year legacy of success using the power of the law to safeguard the wildlife, wildlands, and communities of the American West. We seek TWO dynamic, experienced attorneys to join our team on a full-time basis. These positions, located in Seattle, Washington, will defend and advocate for a broad array of federal and state climate and conservation protections.
Requirements and qualifications for each position include:
• At least 4 years of litigation, administrative advocacy, and strategic campaign experience. Of note, we intend to fill one of the positions with an attorney having at least 8 years of experience and to have that attorney also serve as the Seattle Office’s Director.
• Expertise and at least familiarity with federal and Washington state climate, environmental protection, and public lands laws. Knowledge of federal Indian law is a plus. Expertise and experience with both federal and Washington state administrative law is essential.
• Ability to integrate legal advocacy with broader strategic advocacy campaigns, in particular relative to policy and communications strategies.
• Capacity to use a complete set of legal advocacy tools including administrative engagement, policy development, negotiations, and litigation.
• Admission to and good standing with a state bar and willingness and ability to become a member of the Washington State Bar at the earliest opportunity after hiring.
• Ability to independently manage cases through administrative agencies and the courts.
• Exceptional research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills to foster relationships with our clients, partners, funders, and allies.
• Demonstrated commitment to the public interest and to WELC’s mission and strategies.
• A positive, friendly, and enthusiastic attitude towards making the world a better place.
• A love and respect for the wildlands, waters, wildlife, and communities of the American West.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews completed on a rolling basis until the positions are filled, with an ideal start date of no later than April 1, 2017. To apply, please email the following as PDF attachments to jobs 'at' westernlaw.org: (1) cover letter addressed to Erik Schlenker-Goodrich, Executive Director; (2) resume; (3) references; and (4) writing sample. No phone calls or in-person visits please.
Western Environmental Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and our programs and employment are open to all. We offer a friendly, team-based environment, highly competitive salaries, and an excellent benefits package.
For more information about WELC, please visit www.westernlaw.org.