The New Canaan Land Trust seeks a seasonal, full-time Coordinator for its growing Summer Steward program. The program, which will enter its sixth year, engages a small group of local high school students in multiple aspects of land conservation and stewardship. Centered around projects such as trail maintenance, invasive species control, and habitat restoration, the students complete meaningful work that benefits the Land Trust and their community, while also learning about the science and philosophy of sustainable land management. Program participants also meet and work with professionals in the environmental and land stewardship fields, and visit organizations with conservation-related missions.
The Coordinator is responsible for overseeing and working with 5-7 high school students for the duration of the 9-week Summer Steward program and successfully executing the stewardship and educational goals of the program. There is some flexibility in the structure of the program, and the expertise and prior experience of the Coordinator will help shape the program.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Ensure the safety of and serve as a role-model for all participants of the program
• Effectively lead program participants in the completion of stewardship projects
• Identify opportunities for field-based learning about various environmental topics
• Coordinate field trips, workshops with local professionals, and other aspects of the program
• Provide weekly updates to the Executive Director
Qualifications and Skills:
• A degree in/experience related to environmental science, education, or sustainable land management
• Demonstrated leadership skills, especially experience working with volunteers and high school students
• Experience completing various land stewardship projects, including but not limited to basic trail maintenance, invasive species removal, tree planting, tree pruning, etc.
• A valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle are required.
Duration: The minimum duration of this position is 10 weeks, starting on June 17th 2019 and ending on August 23rd 2019. However, the Coordinator could start as early as May 20th, during which time they would oversee a group of 3-4 high school interns under the direction of the Executive Director. Pending funding, there may also be an option to extend the duration of employment into the Fall of 2019, during which time the Coordinator’s responsibilities would shift to leading volunteer work-days, inspecting properties and easements, and doing independent stewardship work. Candidates interested in either option should indicate such on their application.
Hours: Hours will typically be from 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Full-day field trips or inclement weather may extend or shorten some days.
Compensation: Weekly salary of $500 - $600, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Out of town mileage will be reimbursed at the federal rate.
The New Canaan Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees.