Work for Progress is seeking a Field Director for our Voter Contact Program that will help elect environmental and public interest champions to Governorships, State Legislatures, and Congress in 2018.
Work for Progress Elections Program
Work for Progress is a national nonprofit that partners with leading political organizations to run independent expenditure field programs to elect candidates for office.
We know what it takes to win elections and influence national and state politics. We pick the most salient races, access the best voter data, use cutting-edge targeting metrics, and employ scientifically-proven methods for engaging voters face-to-face to get them out to vote. Work For Progress is known nationally for moving thousands of votes at best-in-class efficiencies.
Work for Progress runs paid door-knocking operations in key states during each election cycle, working to raise awareness about the candidates and their positions and turn out voters who are supportive of the candidates we have chosen to support. We run field campaigns for groups like Fair Share Action and Environment America Action Fund.
Work for Progress is run by experienced organizers and activists with decades of experience on electoral and program-focused field campaigns, and we turn that experience to winning elections in states across the country. Since 2008, Work For Progress has knocked on over 3 million doors in more than 14 states in support of candidates such as President Barack Obama, Senator Elizabeth Warren, and Senator Tim Kaine and in races for offices ranging from state legislatures to President. For example, in 2014 ran the largest independent field operation in Colorado, working with Fair Share Action. We knocked on nearly 1 million doors from August to election day and sent out over 2,000 canvass shifts in the last four days. Our efforts helped turn out the voters needed to re-elect Gov. John Hickenlooper and increased turnout in critical state legislative races needed to keep a Democratic majority in the State House. We focused our field efforts in 11 out of Colorado’s 14 most populous counties. Defying the national trend, in these counties, turnout among eligible Colorado voters increased by 4% in 2014 as compared to turnout of eligible 2010 voters (the last competitive Senate election in Colorado outside of a presidential year).
Voter Contact Program Field Director
Work for Progress is hiring a Field Director for our Voter Contact Program. The Work for Progress Voter Contact Program Field Director runs field campaigns for groups like Fair Share Action and Environment America Action Fund to help elect state, local or national candidates who will work for the changes our country needs, like protecting our water, air and public health; standing up for consumers, and curbing global warming.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Work for Progress Elections Field Director is responsible for planning and managing these field campaigns. Key responsibilities include:
● Coordinate with national and state partners, including America Votes, to create a plan for voter contact field offices.
● Recruit and oversee a team of office directors and regional directors to run the field campaign.
● Manage budgets and field product for up to 30 voter contact field offices.
● Use polling and focus group data along with the best, scientifically-tested techniques for persuading and motivating eligible voters to cast their ballots.
The Field Director will also be responsible for setting up, running, and continuing to develop our elections program. Key responsibilities include:
• Proposing plans for our electoral field operation, working with other leadership of the Public Interest Network
• Hiring and managing a team of regional directors, administrators and office directors
• Working with the Public Interest Network Field Director to make the plan for our field program
• Planning and running trainings to kick off the campaign
• Coordinating with and managing the targeting and administrative teams
• Planning and proposing any experiments to improve our model
• Setting up and maintaining systems to run door knocking operations
• Working with local coalitions on fundraising and coordination for our elections work
• Developing and proposing materials for our outreach.
The Work for Progress Elections Field Director reports to the Work for Progress Campaigns Director and is accountable to the Work for Progress leadership.
The ideal candidate for Work for Progress Field Director will be:
● An effective team-builder who can recruit high-level staff, provide training and development, and shape a committed group.
● An experienced campaign director, who has managed multi-state outreach operations.
● Creative, effective at solving problems, and analytic with the ability to assess and improve the plan of a fast moving campaign.
● Have demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in solving problems.
● A good people-person/listener with a track record of successful hiring and staff retention.
● Detail-oriented: able to keep a budget and remain on top of finances. Can oversee and drive a business plan. Will ensure legal and financial compliance for the Community Voters Project
Minimum qualifications include: 6 years of experience in campaign or program development, grassroots organizing, organization building, and/or campaign politics. Related advanced degrees such as a J.D. or Master’s may count towards experience, but are not required. Ideal applicants will have a track record that illustrates a strong work ethic and an uncompromising commitment to getting the job done.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation for this position is commensurate with the candidate’s relevant professional experience. Work for Progress offers a competitive benefits package.
Denver strongly preferred. Would also consider Philadelphia, DC and select other locations, with long-term travel to Denver during fall election seasons.
Please apply online: http://www.workforprogress.org/apply
Things to know when you apply:
Work for Progress is part of The Public Interest Network — a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Work for Progress is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Orion Magazine