*SCA 2019 Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps- Youth Crew Leader Positions Announced*
Interested in using your outdoor skills to take care of the land while educating teens to become environmental leaders of the future? Join the Student Conservation Association (SCA) as a Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps Youth Crew Leader in the summer of 2019! The SCA already anticipates 200+ leader positions for the summer and school year of 2019 - both in Pennsylvania and across the country.
*Applicants must be local to the program area or have personal housing arrangements
2019 Summer Program Cities: Actively hiring: Philadelphia, Hazleton, York, St. Marys, Chambersburg, Renovo, Greensburg, Erie and Meadville; (in addition to Reading, Lehigh Valley, Wilkes-Barre, Williamsport, Harrisburg, Altoona, Wellsboro, Pittsburgh)
Program Dates: June 10th - August 14th, 2019
Crew Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
Benefits: $650 weekly salary, Breakfast and lunch provided, Paid trainings and career-development opportunities.
View Position & Apply Online: https://www.thesca.org/...corps-summer-crew-leader
About the SCA:
Founded in 1957 by Liz Putnam, the Student Conservation Association, Inc., is a national nonprofit organization that advocates for the environment. SCA leads the nation in providing conservation service opportunities, outdoor skills and leadership training. Our mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land. Every year, in all 50 states, thousands of high school, college, graduate students and others join the association to work for national parks and forests, historic and cultural resources, and urban green spaces.
About the Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps:
The SCA, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry have launched a multi-year partnership to field a statewide conservation corps program. The Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps offers paid work experience, job training, and educational opportunities to teens and young adults as they protect and restore public lands and waters.
Crew leaders train, supervise and administer crews of 10 members, between the ages of 15 and 18, working on a variety of outdoor conservation projects, including trail maintenance, habitat restoration, invasive species removal, facility maintenance and light construction. Leaders coordinate with agency partners to plan and implement projects and work with SCA staff to manage safety, conduct and logistics in the field. Two leaders are assigned to each crew.
Specifically, the Crew Leaders will:
• Act as a CrewSupervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor,by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator,by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training (WFA/WFR preferred)
• Must be able to attend Crew Leader training in Pennsylvania: tentatively June 10th – June 20th
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must have personal housing arrangements in the program area
To Apply: In order to be considered, you must complete an application through our online portal called MySCA, and email the Field Leaders Recruiter when your application is complete. Full instructions are found at the bottom of the position description in the link below:
FOR HIGHEST CONSIDERATION APPLY BY May 10th, 2019. Applicants are highly encouraged to apply early as positions are filled on a rolling basis.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org